Tuesday 26 November 2013

The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude about the problem.

A “leader” who has influenced young and old from multiple cultures once stated, “The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude about the problem.”

Yes these words of wisdom were uttered by #CaptainJackSparrow. Jack Sparrow is able to bounce back from setbacks while remaining calm. He would make @Brian Walsh, the founder of @Entrepreneur.com very proud as he has taught that one of the keys to a successful person is the ability to maintain your emotional equilibrium no matter what is happening around you.

Transformational leaders are familiar with the feeling of being uncomfortable as they stretch themselves out of their comfort zones and are propelled to achieve dreams deemed impossible by those who recline on the sidelines.

It's always great to read about these principles and imagine that if you were faced with the same challenges when it comes to change in your life, you’d handle them as effortlessly as Jack Sparrow handles his mutinous undead crew.

One of my clients recently asked me to add a service that will require a significant amount of administrative work to rise. I was irate as I hardly have time to dedicate to anything else in my life. I felt my inner-HULK mushrooming inside as the internal dialogue started, “I don’t usually do this for this account! He’s messing up with my well-oiled system, etc.”

Fortunately I had just been reading about how great leaders are able to embrace change, learn from it and get one step closer to being a truly transformational leader. I took a step back and Captain Jack Sparrow taught me that the problem wasn’t the problem, but my attitude about it.

The “#HULK” within me immediately retreated, I closed my eyes, breathed and sent an email to my client asking him how I could help him achieve what he needed to achieve for his end-client. I was amazed about how fast it took for my stress levels to drop when I realized that in this transient world, we will always face change, whether good or bad.

And for the first time I realized why it is essential that companies equip their employees with the skills to handle change. My client’s team is not too happy with the changes he has implemented, some are dusting their CVs, because #CHANGE has been thrown at them. Human Nature is funny, when they start a new job, they’ll be facing a major CHANGE in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment